Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ruminations on "Under the Tuscan Sun"

When I think of Bramasole, I realize that movies and life are so dissimilar. If I sell everything I own, move to Italy, buy an old house with vineyards lining the property, I won't wind up with an extended Italian family who come to visit at the drop of a hat, spend holidays with me, and dance late into the night while sharing caraffes of wine over a long wooden table covered with a red-checkered tablecloth.

This isn't, after all, the movies. This is real life. When I go places, people don't follow me around looking to take up with me, either as friends or family. I don't wind up with my feet under their dinner table after just a glance and a kind word while riding the bus.
Why is it, then, that Hollywood would have me believe that if my husband cheats on me, that my friends will give me a free trip to Italy and once I get to Italy, I discover that Bramasole Estate is for sale...so I just waltz in, plunk down some cash and buy it?

Trustworthy & handsome men then show up and begin fixing all the things that are wrong with my house, I meet the man of my dreams; humorous and loveable Italians are soon gracing my table each evening where I serve perfect Italian cuisine.

It would never happen. This is the movies. I am of the opinion that movies are movies and nothing ever happens as it happens in the movies. But, am I just a cynical person who has had more than her share of life events that would lead a person into cynicism? Possibly.

It may also be possible that if I had a different personality, if I were more open, trusting, social and less of a homebody, that the events as depicted in the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" could happen. I must learn to realize that the impossible IS possible. That friendly, sociable people can and do appear. That there are other people longing for kinship, friendship and laughter.

I must open myself to the possibility that miracles do happen, that the unimaginable can be reality, and that movies aren't always based on dreams.

And maybe, one of these days, I will move to Bramasole.

No comments:

Post a Comment